3 Things You Need to Win the Week in Work & Life
“The goal is to give them every opportunity to eliminate excuses and blaming,
get the job done and WIN!” – Terry Gurno
Two weeks ago when we started this series (Part 1 & Part 2 links) I said the three primary reasons people and organization fail to execute on their goals and objectives is a lack of clarity, lack of commitment and lack of accountability. As leaders, this becomes our primary responsibility to the organization and to the people we lead; to make sure they are clear about what we’re doing and where we’re going and how we’re going to get there.
There are also 3 things they need to be successful. They need to know some things, have some things and do some things.
- Know some things: What do they need to know to be successful about the company, the product or service, their job, expectations, procedures, processes, systems, models and their client? There may even be a few more things they need to know about so just add them to the list. Covering these things once is never enough because these things change so often.
- Have some things: Equipment, software, supplies, training, coaching, mentoring, subscriptions, programs, tools and the list goes on. As you think through this, what is it they need to have to WIN? Make your list and make sure they have them.
- Do some things. What do they need to do to WIN? There’s a difference between being busy and being productive. Busy takes away from the bottom line and productivity adds to it. We want people doing the things that make them productive and give them the best chance to WIN.
When we make sure they have, know and do we put them in the best possible position to WIN by eliminating excuses, keeping them resourced and focused. If you’re not having a regular coaching session with them, you need to, and when you do, here are your final questions in your coaching session:
- Do you know the things you need to know to be successful and reach YOUR goals?
- Do you have the things you need to have to be successful and reach YOUR goals?
- Are you doing the things you need to do to be successful and reach YOUR goals?
The goal is to give them every opportunity to eliminate excuses or blaming, get the job done and WIN! When they WIN you WIN!